Sage tagged me for this meme. And being me I followed it back to the beginning (always very satisfying for the suppressed researcher in me), and of course I had to look up Stuart Smalley. Let me tell you, he is almost completely irrelevant to this meme except that there is a book related to him that’s called “I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!: Daily Affirmations With Stuart Smalley” and that the Blog Antagonist – who invented the meme – borrowed the phrase and twisted it a little. She wrote:
The theme of this meme is “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and doggone it…I like me.” So, in that vein, I am going to name ten things about myself that I like. I’m going to focus mostly on the physical, because that’s what tends to undermine my self-confidence the most. But you can name anything you want. Maybe you have earned a particularly difficult to achieve degree, or you volunteer tirelessly at your child’s school, or you make a really great Peach Cobbler. Anything that makes you feel proud, or happy, or significant.
And then she writes about the ten things she likes about herself and closes the list with:
That was really hard, and it really shouldn’t have been. If the task had been to list things we hate about ourselves, I could have rattled off twenty without even firing a synapse.
How can we possibly love our fellow man if we are consumed with hatred and loathing for ourselves? How can we make this life and this world better, if we are eaten up with negativity and doubt? I think a lot of the bitterness and antipahty that rocks our world every day is nothing more than an extension of deep personal dissatisfaction and disgust.
Where is the love, people?
Stand up, you. Stand up and say “I’m Good Enough, I’m Smart Enough, and DOGGONE it, I like me.” Then give me 10 reasons why.
So here they are, 10 things I like about me. (I’m a little disappointed. I had thought they were supposed to be 10 things I love about me. Whatever. (I’m a Leo, I can’t help it.))
- I really love how my body feels from the inside. In the past years I have become much more aware of that and for the most I feel strong and healthy and right. Capable. Free from pain. Sensual.
- I am fiercely loyal. Like Liv, I love BIG. Especially my husband and son. When I love someone that love and loyalty usually stays.
- I love that I have managed to change habits that were old and deeply ingrained in me. Now I know that it is possible to heal, and to change. Not beyond recognition but a little nearer to my potential.
- I love that I am a creative person. (Okay, that was a hard one.) I always take it for granted, but there might be people who are not constantly having ideas, hatching plans, and inventing stories.
- I love my feet. Not only are they strong and capable, they are slim, and prone to dance.
- I like the way I have been able to set my big ego aside for my son. When I was pregnant both me and my husband were secretly thinking that I might not be strong enough to care for somebody else. Especially when I had to go without sleep or food for it. Well, I can. And still do.
- I love that I have this feeling that nothing really bad can happen to me. That deep inside me there is a part of me that is always happy, and content, and peaceful.
- I love that I am such a patient teacher. Once again something I couldn’t have imagined. Impatient me being kind and gentle with even the most unpromising students.
- I love that I haven’t succumbed to a life of housework, and watching TV. I love that I still strive to change the things I don’t like.
- I love my voice. Especially when I sing. This hasn’t been always the case but I think, no, I know it has matured. I feel very blessed.
Wow. You should try it, it feels really good. People I’m tagging, let’s see: De (she won’t like it, I know, but I’d really like to see her doing this, it will be beautiful), Chani (don’t really know if she has done this, or is taggable), Hel, Sofia (she has to get used to memes, I think), Joanna and Lisa. I know that are more than five people. So what?
Oh, and don’t forget to go and have a look at the just post roundtable for July:
Fabulous list, I would love to hear your voice
Joanna Butchart says
your list is fantastic. I will think on the train ride to BRighton at the weekend
me too, would love to hear your voice. Maybe in a duet with flutter. (I love it when people do this meme)
i love how you rocked this and how you love and care for yourself. your strength is everywhere in this post.
Completed mine. Thanks for thinking of me. 🙂
Loved your list, too… I have the same feeling about loyalty. Even though I occasionally get a bit too vociferous about it. 🙂
ewe are here says
This is a great list.
Someday maybe I’ll be lucky enough to get to hear you sing.
slouching mom says
Not only are they strong and capable, they are slim, and prone to dance.
I love this line. Keep dancing!
What a lovely list. My feet are also prone to dance.
Just catching up! What a lovely list. I liked the one about your feet, too…
Sober Briquette says
I’m thinking while I catch up with everything. As soon as I’m ready to post, this will be my first post.